Spiced Sourdough Pumpkin Popovers
These spiced pumpkin popovers with a subtle sweetness and tang are delicious served straight out of the oven with butter and maple syrup.
- 120g reduced-fat milk
- 110g cooked pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs
- 130g unfed sourdough starter
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 120g all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven (with muffin tin inside) to 450°F.
- In the microwave or in a small saucepan, heat the milk and pumpkin puree together until the mixture feels slightly warm to the touch.
- Whisk the eggs in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin/milk mixture, eggs, sourdough starter, spice, and salt.
- Mix in the flour. Do not over-mix — a few small lumps are OK.
- Carefully remove the hot pan from the oven, and spray alternate cups, in a diamond pattern, with non-stick spray (you should end up with six sprayed cups). Quickly pour the batter into the cups, filling them to the top.
- Bake the popovers for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven heat to 375°F and bake for an additional 15 minutes, until popovers are golden brown.
- Remove the popovers from the oven and serve immediately with softened butter stirred with maple syrup.
Yield: 6 popovers.
(Recipe based on Sourdough Popovers from King Arthur Flour)