The Eclectic Quill

Website of Joshua McGee

By

Three Word Wednesday CCI

When Niall was three years old, and he would be inconsolable, I would try picking him up, turning him upside down, laughing, and tickling him.  Low-tech, and sometimes it failed.  But sometimes it worked.

When an adult is inconsolable, the techniques that occur to me are not much more sophisticated.  Whether I do or not, I am tempted to try a joke.  Being inconsolable is scary for me.

But is that remedy or manipulation?  Am I trying to find purchase to generate enough leverage to change the other person?  Give me a place to stand and a joke funny enough and I will move his or her world?

Maybe.  Perhaps it is an attempted remedy for me, and my fears.  It could make things worse; I always fear that, too.  And would distraction be a remedy, after all?  Maybe it would just hide the sadness for a bit.

Well, maybe that's the point.  If time heals all wounds, perhaps that time would best be spent laughing.

(Three Word Wednesday is an effort to create a distributed online writers' collective by, once per week, giving a uniform prompt to writers.  This week, the words were joke, remedy, and leverage.)

10 Responses to Three Word Wednesday CCI

1. ThomG says:

Laughter is the best medicine, so your efforts to tell jokes tells me you care about your friends. Thank you for coming to 3WW and testing us out. Hope to see you around again.

2. mcgees.org says:

Thanks, @Thomma Lyn!  Although I didn't comment on your site, I really liked yours as well.

I found 3WW indirectly through Galen Sanford, who referred me to Tony Noland (who's quite the bomb, yes?)  Galen runs Six Minute Story, which has recently captivated me.  Here's my profile there.  If you don't contribute there yet, give it a shot!

Thanks again!

3. Thomma Lyn says:

Welcome to 3WW!  I enjoyed your tale.  Yes, laughter is one of the very best things about being alive and can help heal all kinds of wounds.

4. lissa says:

I like jokes, I think if are laughing, it's easier to get through things

thanks for your visit

5. Ramesh Sood says:

Laughing is internal jogging.. they say.. and people too tend to laugh.. but one word of caution..  trust me for one thing.. people laugh with you yes, they seldom cry with you.. .. still I must say you did a good job with the prompt..

6. Leo says:

yeah.. laughter is the best medicine.. and it shows u care that u try to joke to make ur friends smile :)

7. K says:

Laughing helps, but sometimes so does being left alone to work itout.

Goot writing though.

8. Tony Noland says:

This is so true - I have gotten in more trouble than I can recall by reaching for humor to smooth over uncomfortable or painful situations, even when a joke is the last thing that's called for.

Great use of the 3 words, and, of course, of Archimedes' maxim!

And how could I comment without thanking you for the shout-out for me? I'm glad you like the stuff I do, and I'm happy to meet you!

9. ms pie says:

too bad i kinda like the idea of turning a person upside down.... though laughter does cure a whole lotta what ails us...